The Legion  

Go Back   The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

The Real World Discuss real world issues from love to life to politics.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
IronsightSniper
Legion's Resident AppleJack

Nation:
Current Wars | Foreign Aid

Default Movies I have watched recently-enough to comment on

as per request by Her Chancellor Puddinghead's crown

Movies I have Watched Recently-Enough to Comment on
It's a Sequel!

Perfect Sense

I can't pick which one I like better, Eva Green or Ewan McGregor, either way, Eva Green broke her promise of never doing another nude scene (she did a rather 'explicit' one in The Dreamers), by doing a nude scene. Oh and if you pause it at the right time you can see Ewan's pubes. Anywho, the movie's about some science-related lady and her relationship with a Chef, whilst the world goes through some sort of fucked up disease that miraculously spreads through quarantines and takes away your main senses, one at a time. I liked it, but the ending is one of those "shut up lady" moments. 8/10

P.S.
Spoiler

The Fall

Basically the movie's a visual representation of the stories that a suicidal stunt performer in the early days of film tells to a young immigrant girl who is being cared for in the same hospital, after the performer got into an accident. It's one of those films that only gets made once. 8/10

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

The plot revolves around a deaf/mute guy who goes out of his way to try to provide money to save his sister. Complications ensue, and vengeance is enacted. Generally good time killer for anyone who doesn't mind wasting it on a crime drama. 8/10

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance

If you didn't notice, this film, along with Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Old Boy are apart of a supposed trilogy of films revolving around blut blut blut. This one in particular, like the male counterpart, is about a Korean lady that takes vengeance on a guy after she spent if I recall, a dozen years in jail? By the way, Democracy kills! (if you watched the movie you'd understand) 8/10

Big Fish

Daww. Yes I watched it for McGregor, he's just a great actor I swear. Generally fine time killer, but couldn't help but yelp at bullshit morals. Not that you're supposed to expect them from a movie about a "fantasy" world, but who cares. Enjoyable flick, 8/10, and it's not a coincidence that all the movies are 8/10, fuck off.

50/50

EXHIBIT WHORE! LOOK AT IT! THAT'S RACHEL! AND THAT'S A FUCKING FILTHY JESUS-LOOKING MOTHERFUCKER, AND THEY'RE KISSING! Other than that, the plot was pretty 'predictable', generic Hollywood feel-good crap. But I have learned to look past that and I enjoyed the movie as a whole. 9/10

Girl, Interrupted

No, I haven't started smoking, no, it's not a phallic symbol, yes I am just soaking myself with drama movies. Girl, Interrupted follows yet another predictable plot. Girl goes to psych ward, what could go wrong, yes a lot of things, but what else. Oh that? Oh okay. 7/10

The Good, The Bad, and The Weird

Looks like we got ourselves a, Chinese Japanese Mongolian? KOREAN?! oh right a Manchurian stand-off. Good film with nice of high-production value action sequences and your generic movie-magic, but who doesn't like a non-United States Western film? 9/10

We Need to Talk About Kevin

Power Breakfast! We Need to Talk About Kevin is another drama film, this time centering around a mom trying to live her life after her son (Kevin) shoots up his school. Guilt, Remorse, more guilt, reflection and regret, guilt to the nth degree, and finally, a "what the fuck" moment. To be frank, I'm not impartial to films that are edited like so, thus I really enjoyed it. 9/10

The Science of Sleep

The film's basically about a guy who gets too much damn sleep and dreams too much and is probably stuck in his adolescence, whilst trying to get with a girl with a similar psych as him, except Arc'ing the fuck up the place and missing lots of opportunities and feeling extremely disappoint at the end. Sounds like me 9/10

The Lovely Bones

IRL people goaded me to watch it, I hated it. It's about a girl who gets chopped up and dances around in limbo for fucks sake while not doing anything relevant except letting things go along as they would have, anyways. Basically it's about 30 minutes of reality and 1 hour and 30 minutes of bullshit, and not in the good way. 5/10

The Flowers of War

"Drag Queens, Drag Queens everywhere." If you didn't know, George Chen is a hero, a ball of deliciously mushed meat sent from his holy appendages himself. It's a very stereotypical Chinese-portrayal of the Rape of Nanjing, however (Chinese soldiers = Spartans, Japanese people were heartless barbarians, etc, etc). If you're a fan of Christian Bale's beard, you'd enjoy it. But I can't stress how much of a hero George Chen is, he is literally spaghetti. 9/10

Cypher

Though technically a B-movie, it's good sci-fi for anyone who does that jig. Basically about a guy who is doing Corporate Espionage on another corporation, but in reality, is being psychologically reprogrammed to be the perfect liar (in order to do actual espionage). I do warn of poorly-generated helicopters and Roddney McKay being beaten up, however. 8/10

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Nothing ground breaking here. Enjoyable if you like Spy-movies, which I do. Good guy wins, bad guy loses, question is, what are the stakes; and the execution? In any case, the movie is about a super-spy (GARY OLDMAN) who must find the Soviet-mole in the British 'circus'. Good time killer (like a lot of the above movies by the way) 7/10

The Chumscrubber

The Chumscrubber is one of those for the emotionally anxious, which is admittedly a large portion of anyone who watches drama movies a lot (like I). The movie has a pretty generic Good v.s. Bad plot to it, so you know who's gonna come out as the bigger man anyways, but that wasn't the point of the movie I think. In any case, the movie's about a near utopian suburbia where after a series of incidents, makes things go awry, lessons then learned, etc etc. Still liked it though, 8/10

Hallam Foe

Before I go further, I will spoil what happens in the first 30 minutes. Hallam (above) finds evidence that his step mom drugged and drowned his biological mom. He confronts her, in his tree house, she denies wrong doing. He puts his arms around her neck, demanding information. She gropes him and they have sex, then, she kicks him off the property and he wanders the roof tops of Scotland spying on people with his fucking binocs. Yep. 8/10

Confessions

Basically about what a Japanese middle school (I think) teacher does when she discovers that 2 kids in her class murdered her daughter (and because Japan is retart, if they're under 14 they're apparently not liable), thus she takes revenge in her own hands, and spikes their milk with AIDS. That isn't the whole story though, and everything gets very Freud-palmy. 7/10

Mary and Max

Accurate portrayal of Arc by the way. The film's basically about two "unlikely" pen-pals, one from Australia and the other one from America, though, the use of the word "unlikely" in describing the two is a totally bad choice of word, as they turn out to be pretty similar. Unlike a lot of Hollyshit movies with nearly predictable endings, this one is predictable, but isn't shit. 9/10

The Chaser

After the few Korean crime-drama films I've watched I think I, and anybody else with half a wit, can conclude that the South Korean police is shit. The Chaser is about an ex-detective turned pimp (HEY HEY HEY) whom revives his old skills after a few of his girls go missing. He later finds out that the guy (above) is not exactly having a good time with the girls (in their perspective at least). This movie, like the majority of the Korean crime-dramas I've watched is ironic and funny. 9/10

Secretary

Yes, Maggie Gyllenhaal is a brony. The movie's basically about a submissive girl straight out of the loony-bin who finds a job with a reluctant dominant lawyer. Antics ensue, blah blah blah, the usual adjectives to describe different forms of the same thing. Love is found, everybody's happy. 7/10

Udaan

Udaan's basically about what every teenager in a non-neglected house hold has felt, academic pressure from parents, spiritual yearning from the mind, personal jerks from your friends, all while the void of lost dreams come sapping right back at you, but this time, IN HINDU! Despite another predictable plot, I again, enjoyed it. 9/10

Books I have Read Recently-Enough to Comment On
It's short

Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea

Summary:

1. Pythagoreas is an evil shit head
2. String Theory is a Philosophy

9/10
Coalition WarKarma WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
IronsightSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
Legionnaire

Nation: Legionia

Default Re: Movies I have watched recently-enough to comment on

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronsightSniper View Post
2. String Theory is a Philosophy

2. String Theory is String Conjecture

Let's not slap Philosophy onto everything.
The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarTetris WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonDistinguished Donator AwardEconomics General Service AwardForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:36 AM   #3
IronsightSniper

Nation:

THE BOOK SAID OTHERWISE, DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT IS? A BOOK? ENGLISH?
Coalition WarKarma WarDoomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardImperator's Award for Outstanding Service RibbonGold Admiralty RibbonLifetime Admiralty AchievementAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonAdmiralty Exemplary Service RibbonEconomics Lifetime Achievement AwardRecruitment Service AwardInternal Affairs Outstanding Service Citation
Old 01-14-2012, 01:38 AM   #4
Legionnaire

Quote:
THE BOOK SAID OTHERWISE, DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT IS? A BOOK? ENGLISH?
Don't make me take you back to school

Also, why did the author call Pythagoras evil?
The Dove War / Valhalla WarUnjust WarCoalition WarKarma WarTetris WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorLoyaltyIch Dien Lifetime AwardConsulate's Legionnaire of the Term RibbonDistinguished Donator AwardEconomics General Service AwardForeign Ministry Nation Exchange RibbonSpammiest LegionnaireFunniest Legionnaire
Old 01-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #5
bitermer

Nation: Bitermeria

triangles and stuff

Doomhouse WarTetris WarODN WarEquilibrium WarOrder on Order WarDoom WarMaroon WarNSO WarPurple HeartNuclear SurvivorIch Dien Lifetime AwardGold Admiralty RibbonAdmiralty Wartime Service RibbonDefense Medal of ValorDonator AwardDistinguished Donator AwardForeign Ministry Distinguished Service RibbonForeign Ministry Ribbon of ExcellenceFunniest LegionnaireSpam-A-Thon Winner
bitermer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:42 AM   #6
IronsightSniper

Nation:

Don't get me wrong, I still prefer String theory (conjecture, semantics shemantics) simply based on the math, since there's really on 3 possibilities otherwise, 1. mathematics as we know it is fundamentally flawed 2. someone didn't do the math right in regards to string theory, or 3. it's right, even though as we know it, no one can prove it, so it's a + for science either way

and the author(s) called pythagoreas evil on the basis that he based his philosophy on the geometric beauty of nature and thus, nature having 'beautiful' numbers all around, while ignoring the fact that his very own golden ratio was an irrational number and thus was not 'beautiful' while ironically being beautiful at the same time. oh and his cult killed that one guy who told the Greeks about irrational numbers. some dramatic shit like that
Old 01-14-2012, 01:54 AM   #7
Legionnaire

for some reason this quote doesn't work
[quote=IronsightSniper;754618]

Don't get me wrong, I still prefer String theory (conjecture, semantics shemantics) simply based on the math,/QUOTE]

You shouldn't, math is a tool that can predict variables/outcomes, etc. That alone is just that. You need to tests those models with what happens in REALITY, by doing experiments, if the data from those experiments matches mathematical models by a long list of criteria, then, it's good science.

Quote:

since there's really on 3 possibilities otherwise, 1. mathematics as we know it is fundamentally flawed 2. someone didn't do the math right in regards to string theory, or 3. it's right, even though as we know it, no one can prove it
No, all those points are irrelevant, you need evidence above all, which is kinda being done with the large hadron collider.

Quote:

, so it's a + for science either way
If no one can prove that's not win for science, that's just horrible and sounds like religion.

Quote:

and the author(s) called pythagoreas evil on the basis that he based his philosophy on the geometric beauty of nature and thus, nature having 'beautiful' numbers all around, while ignoring the fact that his very own golden ratio was an irrational number and thus was not 'beautiful' while ironically being beautiful at the same time. oh and his cult killed that one guy who told the Greeks about irrational numbers. some dramatic shit like that
I agree with what the author says there, his disciples also didn't share knowledge, only amongst their own. They were lost in the mathematics and didn't care for what reality is, their philosophy was in many ways suppressive towards and earlier development of science.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:59 AM   #8
IronsightSniper

Nation:

In my view, I take maths literally, in the sense that it is a literal language of science, and things like string theory that which maths is sound on, yet experiments and observations have yet to prove, means that the theory itself is like words without letters or ideas without writings. no one's saying that, that alone amounts to anything except a direction to aim the experiments at, but from what I can tell (mind me), maths has been a solid predicator so far.

and if you're wondering, the author never stated that string theory was philosophy but mentioned that it could be
Old 01-14-2012, 02:05 AM   #9
Legionnaire

Quote:
In my view, I take maths literally, in the sense that it is a literal language of science, and things like string theory that which maths is sound on, yet experiments and observations have yet to prove, means that the theory itself is like words without letters or ideas without writings. no one's saying that, that alone amounts to anything except a direction to aim the experiments at, but from what I can tell (mind me), maths has been a solid predicator so far.
Yes, but also you're working with a selection bias, there's plenty mathematically sound ideas that are absolutely garbage and disproven, you just don't get to hear them because they fail to deliver a functioning model of reality.

You can make math do a lot of things such as 72 dimension of reality. Go toy with infinite numbers and you'll get negative numbers, etc. Just for example Hawking's conjecture about information and black holes has air-tight math, it was wrong and he conceded.

tl;dr Math is Physics' bitch.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #10
IronsightSniper

Nation:

yet the functioning models don't have shit-stains for math right?

The Legion > Public Legion Forums > The Real World

Tags
comment, movies, recentlyenough, watched